a symptom of the moral decay that's gnawing at the heart of the country



Sunday 8 November 2015

A cry for help

Writing is, I'm told, something at which I am quite good. I certainly find it fairly effortless, or have done in the past. And there 's the problem. When I started this blog, I had it in mind that posts would be regular and frequent, and that each one would be a dazzling display of my verbal dexterity, effortlessly entertaining and erudite. I imagine that many of my ilk imagine the same, only to have their aspirations subsequently swallowed by the daily drudge.

The comedian Richard Herring has been writing a daily blog for some years now and often makes reference to it in his bewildering plethora of podcasts. I had hoped for the same, exercising my brain so that the muscle became stronger. This has sadly not been the case, as a cursory scan of my posting history will testify. The advantage that Mr Herring undoubtedly has over me (apart from his talent) is that he is a professional comedian and writer, and I work in an office. His daily life will surely allow him more opportunities for inspiration than my Perrinesque schedule offers me. No input, no output, as Joe Strummer put it.

So I am hereby setting myself a challenge which, I am sure, I will singularly fail to meet. One post a week. I was going to type "one post a day" there, but let's not get ahead of ourselves.

And this is where I require your help.

I am so singularly bereft of inspiration at this time that all I can write about is how I can't write about anything.

I need your input, suggestions on topics that I can write about.

Anything.

Give me a topic and I'll write about it. It may be spectacularly ill-informed and barely coherent, but that's the risk you take. We do, after all, live in an uncertain world.

Leave a comment here, message me on Facebook or Twitter. Whatever. Help me extract myself from this mental quagmire. You never know, we might end up enjoying ourselves.










3 comments:

  1. Some suggestions: Going to Lords; the joys of non-league football; your Mixcloud channel; Jub :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheers Chris - I shall add them to the list...

    ReplyDelete